Dr Goldacre classified the research publication methods as “A cancer in the core of medicine.” Your medical doctor is very likely to be misled when it comes to the information about the safety and efficacy of the prescription drugs that they are prescribing on a regular basis. It doesn’t mean they are a bad doctor, it means they have bad data. Please watch the short 13 minute video…
…I’ve said this for many years and I’ll continue to drive home this point no matter what names I am called as a result: Published research does not EVER trump what we know about basic human physiology (textbook physiology from sources such as Guyton’s Textbook of Medical Physiology). For example, if you know the biochemical pathway of a drug and how that pathway’s physiology will cause liver damage, but there is a published study in a prominent journal saying that the drug does not cause liver damage, then you have to assume that the study is wrong because the physiology says otherwise.
Let’s look a little more closely at what Dr Goldacre says about Tamiflu. Tamiflu is supposedly the drug of choice for mediating complications of the influenza virus. Let’s look at the facts. I am getting my facts from the FDA, CDC and DrugAlert (a smartphone application that compiles data from the FDA and CDC on drug facts, interactions & reported incidents). I’m looking at 2008-2009 because that seems to be the year with the most up to date statistics.
- The CDC reports 133 deaths in 2009 from influenza.
- In that same year, 796 reports of adverse reactions to Tamiflu were reported including:
- 129 deaths
- 41 life threatening
- 165 hospitalizations
- 18 disability
- 1 birth defect
- Many reports of neuropsychiatric events including: hallucination, insomnia, convulsion, delirium, depression, nightmares, anxiety, agitation & aggression
So what was the solution to the Tamiflu problem? Dr Goldacre rightly suggests that ALL studies need to be published, regardless of outcome. But here’s what happened with Tamiflu. You judge whether or not this sounds appropriate:
In 2011, the dosage was lowered from 12mg/ml to 6mg/ml. Do you think this will lower the number of adverse events? I would assume so. You can bet your life that these findings will be published and applauded by the media. However, if you cut the dose in half, what will that do to the efficacy of the drug? We have no idea because there are no studies showing the efficacy of Tamiflu at 1/2 the dose that was originally studied! BUT, the drugs efficacy WILL continue to be reported at the 12 mg/ml dose even if they are not legally able to give that dose to patients. Do you feel cheated yet?
After all this, what are your options as you go into the flu season this year? Let me make a few suggestions based on known physiology (remember from above) & real statistics from the terrible outbreak of influenza in 1917 & 1918 where we lost many lives to complications from influenza. I’m going to go ahead and link to a few article on the subjects and then highlight some interesting data:
Here are some interesting highlights:
- Studies show that blood drawn from patients before and after spinal care IMMEDIATELY increases immunoglobulins AND CD4 T-Cells.
- Spinal care decreases pro-inflammatory mediators (physiologically known to decrease immune function)
- During the Spanish flu of 1918:
- For every 10,000 cases of influenza treated medically, there were 950 deaths
- For every 10,000 cases of influenza treated conservatively (drugless), there were 25 deaths
- For every 10,000 cases of pneumonia (complication of influenza) treated medically, there were 6,400 deaths. That’s staggering – 64% of people died!
- For every 10,000 cases of pneumonia treated conservatively, there were 100 deaths. Only 1%!
- Perhaps the most interesting statistic: In Oklahoma, chiropractors were called in for 233 cases where the medical doctors had given up hope and counted the patient’s lives as lost. The chiropractors saved 208 of those patients.
So, what’s the take home message? There are a number of things we can do to boost your immune system. At Upward Living Chiropractic Wellness, we believe that the best defense against seasonal flu is to boost your body’s natural immunity. Nutrition, diet, exercise and spinal care are the best ways to do this. It’s all about prevention! We begin to reboot your body’s physiology from day 1 of your care plan.
As a disclaimer, it’s important to understand that doctors of chiropractic DO NOT treat influenza. We support health. It’s important to stay informed and monitor your symptoms in case you begin to show signs of life threatening complications. The most prominent of these signs would be hallucinations, delirium, convulsions, metal confusion or agitation, perhaps even seizures (associated with an extremely high temperature) or extreme neck pain which can be associated with meningitis (a life threatening infection in the spinal cord). If you think you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1.
However, in the case that you feel yourself beginning to get sick, DO NOT cancel your appointment! Furthermore, if you start to feel sick, DO NOT wait for your appointment! Call me and say, “Doctor, I think I’m getting sick. I need to get my spine checked right now.” I promise we will make every effort to accommodate you.
- Dr Lucas
ULCW (805) 636-9729